1. Over building for your neighborhood. Home remodeling project can be overwhelming therefore you have to be really careful in what and where you put your money when remodeling your home. If you spend significantly more than what average houses worth in the neighborhood you will have a hard time to get your money back when you need to sell your house.
2. Not having a plan. Yes not having a plan could cause you a lot of trouble. Just like any other project, home remodeling project requires a written down plan that show you where and how you would need to spend your money. Are your selections going to look good next to each other? Is this tile too expensive for my bathroom? Will this sink work in my bathroom? You need to have answers for questions like this before you start your remodeling project. You probably don’t have money and definitely don’t have time to redo things twice so it’s better to get it done the right way by having a proper plan for your home remodeling project.
3. Not hiring the right contractor. For any home remodeling project whether it’s small or big, hiring the right people is crucial to the success of your project. You want to know A- If they are trustworthy to let them work in your house B- knowledgeable enough to handle your project. C- If they are insured. Therefore when you interview ask necessary questions to verify the above. And remember a contractor who returns phone calls fast has nothing to hide, and it’s going to reduce your anxiety level.
4. Setting an unrealistic budget. People often underestimate the cost of a home remodeling project. A part of this mistake is because they don’t realize that the biggest cost in home remodeling is usually the labor.
5. Forget to update the electrical and lighting system. In any remodeling project it is very important to walk to walk the house with an electrician and tell them what you would like to accomplish. Once the drywall is up, it would be very costly to add plugs and lights so plan in advance and know what you need.
6. Failure to anticipate the length of the project. It is very important to anticipate the length of the project make sure you understand how long your home remodeling project will take. Give yourself some extra time because in home remodeling you never know what you could run into once you open up a wall.
7. Updating only certain areas of the house that are connecting. Inconsistency in the way you remodel your house could affect the way that your house look after the remodeling is finished. Keep the flow the same way as if someone walks in your house can’t recognize that an area was left unchanged because you ran out of money!
8. Buying cheap material. One of the biggest mistake in home remodeling plano is people try to cut cost by buying cheap material. Sometimes cheap material could cost you double the price (need to redo it shortly after it’s done!) everything is cheap for a reason so be careful what you are buying. Sometimes good material at a heavily discounted price is a sign of discontinuation of that specific material. In cases like this buy extra if you need to match the product ( like tile – Engineered hardwood) and keep it in your attic for future.
9. Not using the right paint. There is almost a specific paint for every single surface using the right paint could save you a lot of time and money ask your painter or home remodeling project manager about the paint that they are going to use for your house. You would want to make sure that you like the look of the paint and whether it is the right paint for that specific area.
10. Going too trendy. People often make the mistake of wanting to be too trendy in their new home by picking the latest, hottest, coolest things, What they don’t take into consideration is that trendy means that it’s short term.
This article has been taken from : http://www.ideamarketers.com/?articleid=3462969&CFID=217756167&CFTOKEN=35774760