Given the fact that people normally spend a third of their lifetime sleeping, buying furniture where we can lay those weary heads is a long-term investment. We may not give much thought about it, but our bed is the single most important furnishing in our home. It comforts us every time we come home from our stressful jobs or when problems overwhelm us and sadness smothers us. It is where we find relief and courage. Awake or not, we regularly spend a large part of our lives resting in it.
Choosing this piece of furnishing for your new home is a challenging task, as there are several aspects you should consider. Here are some suggestions you might want to consider:
1. It should give you the correct support for a healthy rest. You need to make sure that it is in good condition – not easily damaged through regular usage. Over time, furniture will suffer normal wear and tear, losing the durability it had when it was new. For this reason, it should be changed every 9 to 10 years as recommended by many people.
2. It should properly fit the amount of space in your room. Choosing the right size of the beds is crucial. Usually, rooms correspond to the proportion and measurement of the house. Aside from that, you also need to consider your height, weight, physical limitations, sleeping habits, and mobility problems. Sizes considerably vary around the world. Other countries even have their own terminology and standards. For the UK and Ireland, modern choices are made using imperial dimensions while others are sold in their approximate metric equivalents:
- Toddler bed is about 70 centimetres by 140 centimetres.
- Small single measurement is 30 inches by 72 inches, about 75 centimetres by 180 centimetres.
- Standard single measurement is 36 inches by 75, also sold as 90 centimetre by 190 centimetre.
- Prince size is 48 inches by 75 inches, approximately around 120 centimetres by 190 centimetres. However, this one is not widely available.
- Standard double measurement is 54 inches by 75 inches, which also sold as 135 centimetre by 190 centimetre.
- King size is 60 inches by 78 inches, sold as 150 centimetre by 200 centimetres
- Super king or Queen Size is 72 inches by 78 inches, sold as 180 centimetres by 200 centimetres.
3. It should feel good in every way. The right one offers full comfortability. You feel like you are almost floating on which you experience no pressure. It does not have to very expensive, but always keep in mind to consider quality over the price.
Once you already have chosen, you are now ready for that perfect, good night’s rest.