Cancun, located on the Northeastern coast of the Yucatan Peninsula, is an important tourist destination of Mexico. Situated in the state of Quintana Roo, this gorgeously dreamy city is a favorite among spring-breakers. It has miles of white sandy beaches alongside the coral blue waters, creating a tranquility which can be found at very few places on Earth.
Its location on the Caribbean Sea makes it the perfect city for a host of water sports and other beach activities. Adventure lovers can engage in surfing, fishing, sailing, snorkeling, scuba-diving and cruising. Beach bums can laze around at the shore, building sand castles or simply, getting a lovely tan while sipping on wine and Pina Coladas.
The city boasts of a vibrant nightlife with the major bars and nightclubs located at Boulevard Kukulcan. While in Cancun, you can check out the Cuncrawl, Dady’O, Palazzo, Coco Bongo Cancun and Mandala Cancun.
Things to do while you’re there-
1. Cancun Underwater Museum- It is an art museum consisting of around 500 sculptures. The amazing part of this museum is that all three of its galleries are submerged underwater. Most of these brilliant works of art have been created by the British sculptor Jason deCaires Taylor, while a few of them are by five different Mexican sculptors.
2. Ik Kil- It is a stunning sinkhole open to the public for swimming. With features such as a carved stairway, tiny waterfalls and vines which hang from the top all the way down to the surface of the water adds to the beauty of the place.
3. Isla Mujeres- It is a favorite among surfers as the shores of this spot experience large waves making it more exciting for surfing. The abundance of marine life in the coral reefs makes this place one of the most popular places among scuba-divers as well.
4. The Maya Museum- It is the best place to learn about the rich heritage of the region. It consists of around 350 artifacts showcasing the Mayan culture.
5. Xel-Ha Park- Located around a natural inlet and lagoon, it is an aquatic theme park founded in 1984. It features a natural aquarium which is home to hundreds of species of flora and fauna. The visitors can indulge in various activities such as scuba-diving and snorkeling. Book a cheap flight to Cancun and swim with all the marine life-forms present there such as dolphins, manatees and seas turtles.
6. El Meco Archaeological Site- Originally inhabited around AD 300, the pyramid in its premises is the only one of its kind to have been built in the area. The remains of an old temple seated at the top of the pyramid gives an interesting twist to this ancient monument.
Cancun International Airport, though the second busiest airport of Mexico, it is the largest one with regard to international tourists. A few airlines flying there are American Airlines, Interjet, Aeromexico and JetBlue. Browse through various websites and apps for cheap flights fares and fly to this intriguing city.