When you have to select a contractor for some of the renovation focus on your house, how will you differentiate from a certified professional along with a charlatan? Research and the right questions are what you’ll need to get this to important decision. Keep reading to understand how to choose the best contractor and save yourself both money and time.
How to locate Good Contractors
Even before you begin interviewing potential contractors, you have to locate them first. Initially, educate yourself on your proposed project so you have a concept of the expertise that will be required for your particular job. For instance, if your do it yourself project involves a lot of plumbing work, you already know to consider a contractor with plumbing experience.
When looking for contractors, try asking your friends for referrals, check online customer review sites, ask at the local home home improvement store and check out the phone book. Call a minimum of three potential contractors to interview and get quotes. When you are requesting quotations, give every contractor exactly the same information so that your comparison is consistent.
How to Interview a Contractor
When interviewing a potential contractor, you need to ask these questions:
1. Are you currently licensed within this city/state? If your potential contractor includes a license, obtain the number and call your local building department’s licensing office to validate it. Also, call your Better Business Bureau as well as your state’s Consumer Protection Agency to discover what’s necessary to obtain a license where you live.
2. Are you able to provide me with 3 references from jobs done in recent times? Use references to check on your contractor’s work history, reliability and ability to stay on budget and schedule.
3. What insurance have you got? Contractors should come to you insured. They should have general liability, workman’s compensation, car insurance, and property and personal liability. Request a copy of your contractor’s insurance since the thing you don’t want is legal and financial responsibility should any sort of accident happen in your property.
4. How experienced are you currently? Learn how long your contractor has been around business. Anything over five years is generally a sign of a reliable, stable business.
5. Do you have a portfolio? Most contractors will have pre and post photographs of the past work. Look through these to get an concept of the type of work your contractor does and his or her abilities.
6. May I have a detailed estimate? Ideally, you would like an estimate or quote that’s itemized and includes labor, materials, overhead and a schedule. Request it in writing so you can easily compare it to estimates you obtain using their company contractors.
Looking for the Best Atlanta Renovation Contractors or Atlanta Renovation Companies ? – Learn what you need to know about Atlanta Home Construction and Atlanta Renovations on our Atlanta Contractors website: www.atlantaremodelingnow.com