Kenya is a country in East Africa that lies on the equator, with the Indian Ocean to its south-east. It is bordered by Tanzania to the south, Uganda to the west, South Sudan to the north-west, Ethiopia to the north and Somalia to the north-east. Kenya’s economic prospects are positive with 4–5% GDP growth expected, largely because of expansions in tourism, telecommunications, transport, construction and a recovery in agriculture.
Kenya has been one of the biggest importers of Japanese used cars, overtaking Chile and Russia since last few years. Despite major recession and its effects on Auto industry, Kenya has been buying Japanese Used Cars for their best quality, reliability and low prices. Kenya Imports more than 20,000 units annually. Demands are ever increasing with economic growth of the nation.
Kenya Import regulations:
1. Used vehicles being imported should be less than 8 years,
2. Vehicle should be RHD.
3. All used vehicles should pass JEVIC (Japan Export Vehicle Inspection Center) inspection which checks vehicle for safety, and road worthiness.
4. The duty payable on the importation of a motor vehicle is as follows:
Import Duty: 25% of the CIF value of the vehicle
Excise Duty: 20% of the CIF value + Import Duty
VAT: 16% of the CIF value + Import Duty + Excise Duty
IDF: 2.25% of the CIF value or Ksh. 5,000, whichever is higher.
CIF – This is the customs value of the vehicle i.e. the Cost, Insurance & Freight paid for the vehicle.
Who are eligible to Import:
1. Citizens of Kenya have resided outside Kenya for at least two years during which period you should not have visited Kenya for an aggregate of more than 90 days.
2. Importer must have personally owned and used the motor vehicle for at least twelve months.
3. He/she must have attained the age of eighteen years.
4. He/she must process a driving license.
Who can export best used cars from Japan
Japanese vehicles industry is one of the biggest industries in the world because of their high quality, performance and reliability. More than 50,000 used cars are exported every month from Japan to many countries like Kenya, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Zambia, Dubai, South America etc.
Hundreds of used car exporters are ready to export from Japan to any destination. With online purchase system importing used vehicles from Japan has become easier. You just need to carefully choose the most reliable exporter for this job.
Tips to choose the most reliable exporter:
1. Go through all details mentioned on the website like: Company info, establishment year, physical address, used cars dealer registration number, membership of reputed exporters associations etc.
2. Verify all information on the website: Physical address and telephone or emails by sending email enquiry and calling at their Japanese registered telephone number.
3. Ask for Police verification and registration documents or checked with help of Japan Embassy, chamber of commerce or JETRO office in your country or your country’s Embassy in Japan.
4. If the company is member of well known auction houses and reputed exporters associations like JUMVEA, JETRO, Chambers of Commerce, this will be a plus point for trust and worthiness.
5. Please be very careful when the price mentioned are really very low, frauds usually invite the buyers with very low quotes and after collecting payment and they disappear.
6. Check how regularly the stock on website is updated? This will indicate the frequency of business. How active and responsive the used car exporter is?
7. Ask for reference and feedback of buyers from your country who already bought vehicle from the exporter whom you are going to deal with.
Now you can check stocks and choose your car and your exporter will do the remaining job for you.
Article Resource Box: