Sheds have become the necessity of the modern age for countless reasons. But, the main reason is the wish of having some extra space for different purposes like storage, animals, kids playing room and tools etc. In our home we needed extra storage. My mother had been insisting we build a garden shed for storage, but alas her requests were in vain. One day I heard my neighbors talking about how they had constructed a shed near their home.
I picked up on the idea and promised my mother that now I would construct the shed for her. She was very happy to hear it and encouraged me a lot. You will be astonished to hear that despite my slow speed of working, the shed was ready within only twenty days. Here I would like to share with you the first phase of shed kit construction which consists of leveling of ground. This is a very important step as throughout my planning phase I learned that to level the ground properly is critical.
As you know the foundation of everything plays a vital role in ensuring its longevity. If you want to see your kids be successful then you must be very much attentive towards their studies in their first classes because that is the foundation for their future. Same is the case with shed building. If you want to see your shed be strong and durable, its foundation quality should be the best it can be and it should be constructed on a leveled surface. Here are some tips to level the ground.
• First of all specify the area where you want to construct the shed.
• Measure the area with a measuring tape. Always remember to take in to account extra space, more than the size of your custom shed kit. Normally, it is recommended that it should be an extra two to four feet from all the four sides.
• Now, remove all unwanted objects from the specified area like grass, weeds, stones, garbage, leaves and mulch.
• If it is a mountainous surface, you just need to cut extra stones for leveling. But, if it is really unlevel land, it may really require some struggle. You will dig up the marked area three to six inches deep to check the hardness or the softness of the land. Actually, this is necessary because after digging up you will compact it and will put in it the soil to make it as hard as stone because in future it will keep your shed stable.
• In the next step you will level the area and use a shovel and a rake for it. A bubble level is available in the market which has a great role in leveling the surface. Its use is very easy and it will tell you automatically which side is high and which is low for your garden shed kit or barn kits.
• You will push the soil from the high side to low side to level the land, but throughout this process you will keep on pressing the specific area by walking on it again and again. Moreover, you can use a big wooden hammer for pressing the specific area. I am telling you again and again that always ensure the specific area should become so hard that it cannot be pressed with human effort.
• Place a level on the different parts of the specific area to check its smoothness. You should be very clear that wooden sheds’ foundation surface requires no slope.
Now the surface is ready for constructing the concrete or gravel foundation for your new shed kits.
Cal Sebek is an avid do-it-your-selfer from Los Angeles who loves building custom buildings on his various properties including garden sheds in Glendale, a 2 story gambrel garage in Temecula, a custom wood shed barn in San Diego, and an outdoor storage building in Los Angeles. Cal enjoys sharing his knowledge with others about his experiences building custom wood sheds, storage shed kits, custom shed kits and storage buildings.