Report this Article

Water Charges: What Tenants Pay

  • Comments 0

/* Style Definitions */
{mso-style-name:”Table Normal”;
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
mso-bidi-font-family:”Times New Roman”;}

You might not be aware of all you are due to pay when renting. Along with paying your rent and keeping the property well maintained, there are other costs to be charged. In order to get your budget right, you should make yourself aware with the extra charges that will come along regularly. Water is a utility that is included in these extra costs. Depending on the kind of water meter where you are to rent and the requirements of the landlord, there are basic guidelines to be aware of. Here is a brief rundown of what renters can expect for water charges.

Separate water meters. –

If the property you are living in is fitted with its own water meter then you will pay for water usage. You will be billed accordingly by the local water company and payment should be made direct to them. If you are renting in the Melbourne metropolitan area you will also be required to pay for sewage disposal unless there is an agreement with the landlord that they will pay. The water company should be correctly advised of the date of occupancy in the property. Someone from the company will come to read the meter so you may be correctly charged from your date of arrival. Likewise when you are due to leave the property, you need to advise of the date so you are not charged for water you have not used. Water bills, like other utility bills such as gas, will show your water usage for the period so you can see if the use has been excessive or not. If you are not sure if the premises you intend to rent has a separate meter or not, your property management can advise.

Other water related charges. –

All other charges related to water supply are the responsibility of the landlord to pay. Different laws may apply if the main source of water to the home is from a tank. If the landlord replaces any water appliances, fixtures or fittings these much meet with minimum efficiency standards. If they fail to meet with this then the landlord will be responsible for paying water consumption charges. If you would like information about water efficient products and their labeling, this can be found on the Australian Governments Water Efficiency Labeling and Standards Scheme website.

For more information on water consumption charges for property rentals, you can enquire with your local real estate agent.

Anthony is a real estate agent helping home buyers to find homes for sale in Ringwood, Doncaster, Mitcham & Templestowe. Learn more about analyzing property appraisal & valuation from Melbourne real estate group called Philip Webb. He provides a comprehensive real estate investing article library that offers tips and resources for first-time buyers and real estate investors.


theonlinecircle Article's Source:

  • Posted On June 26, 2012
  • Published articles 10

Post Comment


Select Language:

en es fr it
de pt sv da
no fi nl ru
ja pl tr el